Search for information on Australian domain names to assist you in setting up and using our services. If you can't find the information you're looking for in the answers to the frequently asked questions below, please get in contact with our Australia-based customer care team.
If you're looking to register a website address, start your domain name search here.
For our web hosting FAQ, please click here.
- What is a domain name?
Very basic information regarding names and the different types - TLD, ccTLD and gTLD.
- What is the history of .AU names?
It's been more than 30 years since .AU was born. Here's a very brief look at the Australian ccTLD's history.
- How do I get a domain name?
Acquiring an available Australian website address is a very simple process these days - but there are a few important points you need to bear in mind in your search.
- What's the best way to perform an Australian domain name search?
Just typing website names into a browser isn't a reliable way to find an available name - check out this article to learn why and what you should use to carry out a name search.
- What is the role of a domain registrar?
A registrar is a very important link between the domain registry operator and registrant. Learn more here.
- What extensions should I register?
With so many extensions available, it can be confusing as to which one to choose - some important advice on selecting the right extension.
- Should I register multiple domains?
You can certainly register multiple names, but "should you?" is the important question. Learn more.
- Can I register a com.au domain name if it is available?
Availability and eligibility can be two very different things when it comes to Australian names.
- What characters can be used in domains?
Some guidelines for length and character usage with domain registration and searches.
- Should I use a hyphen in domains?
The pros and cons of using hyphens when registering your website address.
- Am I eligible to register au domain names?
Some notes on checking eligibility criteria associated with acquiring Australian name registration
- What Australian domains can't I register?
There are a few words and phrases you'll need to steer clear of when searching for and choosing Australian names.
- Can I reserve domains?
In short, no - but there is some further information in this FAQ.
- How do I buy a .au domain name?
The concept of being able to buy domain names isn't technically correct; but you can certainly acquire one under a lease type arrangement - learn more here.
- How many Australian domain registrations can I have?
The good news is the sky is the limit - just first check the eligibility guidelines summarised here.
- Can I register an Australian web address without an ABN?
This is a very common question we're asked - find out the answer here.
- If I am not eligible for a com.au or .net.au, what other .au domain name can I register?
While .au is certainly desirable for Australian businesses, if it's not available - there are other options to search.
- What is private domain name registration?
Notes on the private registration feature available with some names.
- Is private registration available for Australian domain names?
This feature is not available with .AU domains - check out some notes on why.
- What is the best domain length?
A short one is considered best, but there's some important points you'll need to bear in mind if selecting a short address
- What are some common mistakes when choosing a name?
Learn about some of the things to avoid when selecting a website address
- Do I have to use my domain name immediately?
Relax - you have all the time you want to start using your address - assuming the registration doesn't lapse of course.
- Can I register a domain name but not order email services or web hosting?
Notes on purchasing registration, email and web hosting services.
- If I register my domain name with you, can I use another web hosting company?
Information about using a website name registered via our services in association with a hosting account with another provider.
- Are there any additional charges added to your published price ?
There are no hidden surprises in our pricing - learn more.
- My contact details have changed - how do I update my domain name's record?
Name management information and how to update your contact details.
- How do I "point" a name to a web hosting account?
Website names need to be 'pointed' before they can be used with a web site - check out this guide to learn how to perform this.
- How do I regain control of an Australian domain name registered by a cybersquatter?
Notes on taking control of an Australian domain you believe you are entitled to register that is under the control of someone you believe isn't.
- Can I transfer an Australian domain name registered somewhere else to you?
Information on transferring domain name management from another registrar to us.
- What happens if I forget to renew my domain name registration and it expires?
Expiry processes associated with .au and gTLD domain names.
- What do I need to know about domain name security?
Your website name is an important part of your business, so ensure it's kept secure - check out these tips.
- Domain name registrar vs. reseller - what's the difference?
There are some important distinctions between an Australian registrar and a reseller - learn more in this article.
- I've purchased a business - is any website address being used included?
Not necessarily - this article contains important information for Australian business buyers.
- What Is The Information Security Standard (ISS)?
Learn more about the Information Security Standard (ISS) for Accredited Registrars; established by the auDA
- What Is domain forwarding, cloaking, masking and redirection?
Learn more about methods to point a domain name to a page hosted elsewhere; such as free server space provided by your ISP.
- What if I want to change my domain name at a later date?
If you decide to change your website address at a later date, here's some important things to consider.
- Domains and estate planning
Have you given thought to what will happen to your web name if you should pass away?
- Third Party .AU Domain Name Leasing
Can you lease an Australian domain name to a third party or lease a .com.au domain from someone else? Find out more here.
- What is the au Domain Name Supplier Code of Practice?
This policy supports competition and ensures minimum standards for dealings with registrants. Learn more
- Glossary Of Domain Terminology
Our jargon buster explains some of the many terms used in the industry and help you decipher the lingo.
- Miscellaneous FAQs
Miscellaneous frequently asked questions relating to registration and transfers of .au names
Domain Name Policies
The following rules should be read in conjunction with schedule A of Australian name eligibility and allocation policy rules for open second level domains (2lds)
- SCHEDULE B: Eligibility and allocation rules for asn.au domains
- SCHEDULE C: Eligibility and allocation rules for com.au domains
- SCHEDULE D: Eligibility and allocation rules for id.au domains
- SCHEDULE E: Eligibility and allocation rules for net.au domains
- SCHEDULE F: Eligibility and allocation rules for org.au domains
If a search above didn't find the information you were looking for, please contact our Australian customer care team - they'll be more than happy to help you.
Available Domain Name Search & Register
How to register a name: Enter your choice in the search tool and click 'GO'. If after the check the domain names search results show your choice is available, you will then have the option to proceed to purchase registration; which is a very quick and easy process - start a search and find your ideal website address now.