Domain Registration Australia Icon AUSTRALIAN OWNED AND OPERATED SINCE 1996 Domain Registration Phone Number 1300 863 436





$144 /year

Domain Name News

European ccTLD Registrations Grow 7.9% 

December 11, 2012

CENTR's biannual statistics report relating to European domain names was recently released.

The latest DomainWire Stat Report (December 3) states the number of country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) name registrations in Europe is currently sitting around 61.7 million.

Of those, private registrations make up 40% and commercial domain names, the remaining 60%. The ccTLD experiencing the largest growth rate over 12 months was the .PT extension (Portugal), after the easing of registration criteria earlier this year.

Countries with the largest market share of registrations in their respective ccTLD are Slovakia ( .SK - 87%), Serbia (.RS - 90%) and Montenegro (.ME - 99%). The largest ccTLD is Germany's .DE, with 15 million registrations.

European ccTLD registrations jumped around 7.9% while generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) registrations grew a healthy 6.2% in the past 12 months.

Country data sourced in the report is estimated to represent at least 95% of domain registrations from ccTLDs based on standard definitions of Europe. The full DomainWire Stat Report can be viewed here (PDF).

In other recent news from CENTR, the body reports the first cultural and linguistic gTLD .CAT reached 60,000 active domains by the end of November, growing 15% since January 1st. The extension is intended to be used to focus on the Catalan language and culture. Catalonia is located in the north-eastern region of Spain and adjoining parts of France.

CENTR is a non-profit organisation dedicated to supporting European ccTLD's. It has 51 Full members and 9 Associate members, representing approximately 80% of the total number of ccTLD domain name registrations globally. 

In October this year, CENTR accepted an application for Associate Membership from the Australian ccTLD (.au). 

European domain name stats trivia: The average number of characters in a domain name is 11.2. Source: CENTR

Have a web site or blog? Get our free domain news widget.

Domain News Archives

Return to news home

Available Domain Name Search & Register


How to register a name: Enter your choice in the search tool and click 'GO'. If after the check the domain names search results show your choice is available, you will then have the option to proceed to purchase registration; which is a very quick and easy process - start a search and find your ideal website address now.